Are timber windows much more expensive than UPVC?Real wooden frames undergo a different manufacturing process to UPVC and the quality of material is most important, as is the sustainability of the timber we use. Timber windows are a more expensive option than UPVC but with a ten year no painting guarantee and a thirty year guarantee against preservative failure, value for money is excellent. More than this, timber windows which are full of character and high quality guarantees, will add value to your property.
What about security? Are timber windows and doors as secure as other types of window?
Because we source our products from George Barnsdale , our clients can be assured of the highest quality timber windows and doors that meet exacting security standards. George Barnsdale are committed to product testing and as a result we can provide test data from third party, UKAS accredited test house to validate our security claims. Below are just two examples of security specifications.
- Tested to BS 7950 security standards - the specification for enhanced security performance of windows for domestic applications.
- Fitted with locking fasteners.
- Fitted with Egress hinges, designed for safety and emergency exit and with the added bonus of an easy clean facility.
- Fitted with 2 point espagnolette lock, plus shootbolts top and bottom - providing overall 4 point secure locking.
- Glazed with high security glass.
Our Doorsets are:
- Security tested to G.G.F. 6.6.2. (Glass and Glass Federation).
- Fitted with adjustable hinges, allowing easy maintenance.
- Fitted with 3 point espagnolette plus thumb locks top and bottom.
- Fitted with euro-profile cylinder.
How often will I need to redecorate my timber windows and doors?We provide a ten-year guarantee against re-painting, which people are often surprised at. Wooden frames and preservative treatments have improved dramatically over the past decades and installing timber windows shouldn’t generate more work for you as a home-owner. Please also see our service pledge for more information on aftercare.
I’ve heard that windows are being energy rated now. What does that mean?
Window Energy Ratings use a consumer-friendly traffic-light style A-E ratings guide similar to that used on ‘white’ goods (such as fridges and freezers). This ratings label can help you to make more informed choices about the energy efficiency of the windows you are thinking of buying.
All of the timber windows that we supply are rated at ‘C’ and above, and George Barnsdale whom we source our products from, were the first timber window manufacturer in the UK to receive an 'A' rating. For more information, visit our energy efficiency page.
Do you do supply only?
No we do not offer a supply-only service. We are an approved partner installer of George Barnsdale who are one of the UK's leading timber windows and door manufacturers with over 130 years experience. We work closely with George Barnsdale to ensure the product range meets our clients evolving needs.